Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Act One, Scene One

I thought I'd troll the selections on youtube for a good Act One, Scene 1 link.  That way, while you are finishing your read of the scene tonight, you could follow along and get a nice visualization.  Great idea, huh? Oi vey.

Please -- promise me something.  You will NEVER judge Shakespeare productions by the swill available on youtube!  There are some that are so laughably bad, horribly stiff, and amazingly affected that if I had paid to see it in person, I would have stormed out of the theatre, despairing that they were doing more to harm the world's perception of Shakespeare than they could ever know! It makes me so sad --  because some of the actors in these productions must be delusional.  How could anyone not run screaming from the room?

However, South Coast Repertory -- one of the country's premier theatre companies --had this very good link.  The first two bits are from Act One.  The rest will give you a taste of what is possible when the actors know what the heck they are doing.

For fun... if you enjoy laughing at the misfortunate acting of others -- you might enjoy this horrible and I mean HORRIBLE video of Act One Scene One.  I dare you to watch the whole thing.  God knows I couldn't.  As a matter of fact -- Don't watch the whole thing.  It is as far from being good Shakespeare as it is being good basketball.

No comments:

Post a Comment