Friday, February 10, 2012

Original Soliloquy Example!

Class -- I decided to create a soliloquy for Egeus after Theseus has overruled him in Act V.  If this soliloquy had been included in the actual text, can you imagine what a dark turn the story would have taken in an imagined Act VI?  Notice how I evaluated each line for its rhetorical and poetic components.  Some of them just happened, others were planned.  The resolution's couplet was a happy accident.

I hope this example inspires you to have fun with your soliloquy writing project!


u
/
u
/
u
/
u
/
u
/
Key
Exposition
A
gainst
the
law
of
A
thens
he
doth
rule

To
fa
vor
chil
dish
oaths
of
fick
le
love

And
all
my
thought
ful
coun
sel
he
doth
chide
Assonance: emphasizes “chide”
And
all
to
make
a
fool
of
me
this
night
Anaphora (and)
POA
No
wed
ding
dow
ry
shall
my
purse
give
out.
Synecdoche—purse for wealth
Complication
For
when
my
daugh
ter
threw
a
way
her
life
Hyperbole
Be
co
ming
join’d
un
to
that
three
legged
stool
Metaphor for idiot
All
rea
son
died
and
an
ar
chy
was
born.
Antithesis—died & born
Challenge
If
laws
are
bro
ken
fixed
con
fu
sion
reigns
Juxtaposition –
broken & fixed
And
no
com
punc
tion
I
feel
to
o
bey

Poor
The
se
us
will
rue
the
day
he
cross’d
Antithesis—
Poor & rich
E
ge
us
rich
with
an
ger
fed
re
venge
Enjambment
Crisis
No
lon
ger
will
I
stay
to
serve
this
duke

No
lon
ger
will
I
leave
my
will
un
done
Anaphora –
No longer will I
So
ere
I
go
with
Mer
cry’s
win
ged
speed
Allusion -- Mercury
A
ma
gic
al
po
tion
doth
yearn
to
work
iambic deviation:
potion
And
in
his
wed
ding
gob
let
toast
shall
rest.
Enjambment
Climax
One
sip
will
end
this
drea
my
sum
mer
night
Allusion to title
Resolution
His
nup
tial
wish
es
will
be
tray
his
breath

Since
he
be
tray’d
his
friend
he’ll
wish
for
death.
Rhymed couplet
Repetition—betray & wish

No comments:

Post a Comment